Healthy leadership is critical to the effectiveness of an organization. We believe a team approach to leadership is most effective for productive ministry. We utilize 3 types of teams at BUMC, Operational (best for adaptive problem solving and generative work), Directional (best for legislative/governance work), and Task (best for technical, specific tasksz).
A ‘global’ operational team referred to as our Lead Team, led by the Senior Pastor, provides overall leadership for BUMC. Team members are both staff and laity. The Lead Team is charged with the adaptive work of the whole of BUMC, leading Connect ministries, Prepare ministries, Send ministries, and supporting operations and infrastructure. This team’s responsibilities include:
- Vision-casting for BUMC Church as a whole
- Accountability, evaluation and alignment of BUMC ministries and campuses around our Mission, Values and Strategy
- Coordination of on-going ministries of BUMC.
- Serving as a catalyst for change within the greater body of Christ and particularly within the United Methodist Church.
Campus Lead Teams
Each campus is guided by an operational team, and is led by the Campus Pastor. The team is made up of staff and laity, and is charged with the adaptive work of that campus and is accountable to the BUMC Lead Team. This team’s responsibilities include:
- Vision-casting for their Campus.
- Accountability, evaluation and alignment of their Campus ministries around our Mission, Values and Strategy.
- Coordination of on-going ministries of that Campus.
Each ministry area is lead by an operational team, whose members are both staff and laity, which meets monthly for worship, visioning, and planning. They are responsible for developing and implementing the ministry action plan for their specific ministry area. Our current ministry leadership teams are Connect Ministries, Discipleship Ministries, Adult Ministry, Children’s Ministry, Student Ministry, Missions and Outreach and Worship & Arts.
The BUMC Church Council is a directional team made up of laity and staff. Membership is nominated by the Committee on Nominations & Leadership Development, and approved by an annual Charge Conference. Members of Church Council include:
- Chairperson/Lay Leader
- Finance Chair
- Trustee Chair
- SPRC Chair
- Foundation Chair
- 6 at-large members
- 2 youth/young adult representatives
- 2 senior representatives
- Trinity Campus representative
- Village Campus representative
- Harvest Hands CDC representative
- BUMC Senior Pastor
- BUMC Executive Director
Church Council’s responsibilities include:
- Discernment and guidance of major future initiatives and decisions.
- Empowering the pastor and operational team to lead.
- Discernment concerning the work of the Board of Trustees, Finance Committee, Staff-Parish Relations Committee, Committee on Nominations and Foundation.
Elected Lay Leadership
Elected lay leadership at Brentwood United Methodist Church consists of positions and directional teams that serve in an advisory capacity, helping to ensure the fiscal and operational health of the organization. Nominations for these positions are made by the Committee on Nominations and Leadership Development, and approved at the annual Charge Conference:
- Church Council Positions (Listed Above)
- Associate Church Treasurer
- Lay Members to Annual Conference (1 for each clergy appointment)
- Board of Trustees (9 members, 3 year rotation, elects on chairperson)
- BUMC Foundation (9 members, 3 year rotation, elects on chairperson)
- Finance Committee (9 members, 3 year rotation)
- Committee on Nominations and Leadership Development (9 members, 3 year rotation)
- Staff-Parish Relations Committee (9 members, 3 year rotation)