Values ✤ Mission ✤ Strategy
A core value is something that is non-negotiable, an unchanging commitment that clarifies and determines key decisions. We have named five for our community at Brentwood United Methodist Church:
- Christ-Centered - We passionately strive to stay focused on Christ alone. And following the example of Christ, we seek to live holy lives, sharing the love and grace of Christ with all persons.
- Teachable - Recognizing that there is always more to learn, we humbly seek God’s guidance as we study scripture and pray for discernment at and across all life-stages and ages; striving to be both prophetic and pastoral.
- Ministry of all believers - We are a hands-on congregation, where everyone has a role in ministry in the church, to the community and the world.
- Risk-takers - Through spirit-led and team-based discernment, we are willing to take risks for the sake of the mission.
- Wesleyan - As a community aligned with the teachings and practices of John Wesley, we believe in the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit; the centrality of grace; continued growth in personal and social holiness; and the primacy of Scripture, along with tradition, reason, and experience for practical and theological discernment.
To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
We are mindful that the world God loves is waiting for those of us in the church to live out our discipleship with grace, humility and courage. As a covenant community, we are convinced that our role is to provide ministries that connect, prepare, and send people for the mission of disciple making.
We live out our mission by creating environments where people are invited into a relationship with God, Christian community and one another; are becoming committed followers of Christ; and are discovering and responding to God’s call on their life to impact the world for Christ.
This is how we seek to fulfill our mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, guided by our values.
Our leadership has developed three key strategies for making disciples of Jesus Christ; Connect, Prepare and Send.
- Connect ministries engage and invite people into a relationship with Christ and Christian community.
- Prepare ministries help people learn and grow in a life of discipleship.
- Send ministries equip and release people to share the love of Christ in word and deed.