What is the BUMC Foundation
The Foundation was founded in December 1992. The Foundation is a a 501(c)(3) charitable corporation. It is governed by a Board of Directors drawn from the membership of Brentwood United Methodist Church who each serve for a term of three years. Assets of the Foundation are professionally managed by financial institutions.
"Organized for the purpose of supporting the programs, ministry, works, goals and objectivies of Brentwood United Methodist Church." ~ Charter of Brentwood United Methodist Church Foundation, Inc. ~ December 6, 1992
Nine church members were elected to the Board of Directors and three members have been replaced by three new members every year since. After modest beginnings, the Foundation was fortunate to receive significant gifts from members and friends of the Church. These funds are divided into a large general fund and a series of dedicated funds. By policy the Board endeavors to distribute funds and award grants on an annual basis of up to 5% of the Foundations unrestricted assets at the beginning of each year. Recently these annual distributions have been in the range of $100,000 - $170,000.
How are the Grants Used:
- Renewal four-year scholarships awarded to four deserving students who are members of our Church.
- Substantial funding for the Chad Welch Memorial Prayer Garden.
- Funding of the Howard Olds seminary scholarship program.
- Funding of projects associated with our inner-city ministries on numerous occasions.
- Funding of portions of the Center for Youth Ministry Training, founded by Deech Kirk
- Funding of projects and programs associated with our new Spring Hill Campus initiative.
- Choir room renovations, new website design, building automation system, expanded shuttle services, Patient Advocacy Ministry, and much more.
How Can I Support the Foundation:
The Foundation is designed to allow individuals the ability to provide long-term support for the missions and ministries of BUMC. This can be through:
- Lifetime giving
- Making a gift to Foundation under a will
- Naming the Foundation as a beneficiary under an insurance policy
- Donors may contribute to the general fund or, alternatively, may name and specify a designated fund.
- Donors may also pick among specified funds within the Foundation focused on music, worship, arts, education, facilities and missions.
- The Foundation is qualified to be named as a beneficiary of almost all retirement fund accounts and life insurance policies.
Because gifts to the Foundation are tax deductible, there are a number of planning opportunities by which individuals can reduce their own personal taxes while making their gift go even further. In addition,gifts may be structured to provide income to donors or their families over a period of time. Donors seeking to make such gifts should consult with their attorneys or other planning professionals.
For More Information:
If you have any questions or need any additional information, please contact Leslie Hotzfeld, Executive Director at Brentwood United Methodist Church 615.324.7235.
Please use the buttons below to access the Grant Request Proposal Form. Full instructions are on the form.