This Lent season, we're challenging you to take on our church-wide fast!
Here’s what you can do:
- Take on each weekly challenge during Lent to practice a different form of fasting
- Donate the money you save from your fasting each week to help us provide 100,000 meals for
- Sign up to pack those 100,000 meals for
RiseAgainst Hunger on April 13
All of the challenges are suitable for a family, an individual, or a group of individuals. But why do we even fast in the first place?
For centuries, Christians have practiced fasting during Lent as a reminder of our spiritual hunger for God. Most Christians associate fasting with prayer, with some who view fasting as a way to intensify prayer. John Wesley fasted Thursday from sundown until Friday afternoon each week as a regular spiritual practice. This year, we want our fasts to also be intentional reminders of our neighbors experiencing extreme hunger around the world.
March 17-23: Fast from excessive spending all week. Donate the money you save to
- It's WCS Spring Break this week – be mindful of how you're spending on your time off!
March 24-30: Plan a week of low-cost dinners. Donate the money you save to
March 31 – April 6: Fast from going out for entertainment all week, instead opting for fun activities at home. Donate the money you save to
April 7-13: Invite your friends or neighbors over for dinner, spending only $0.32 per meal (the cost of one meal kit from
- Did you know Rise Against Hunger was founded by a United Methodist pastor with the goal of ending world hunger by 2030? Learn more about how they're working toward that to share with your friends.
April 14-20: Fast for one day or for one meal during Holy Week in remembrance of Jesus’ hunger for God’s presence in the midst of trial
- Learn more about the history of fasting in our Wesleyan heritage and to access prayer guides during your fast
Talk as a family about what you want the outcome of your fasting to be – spiritually and financially. Set a household goal for how many meals you want to provide because of your fasting ($0.32 = one meal through
Rise Against Hunger has developed a global network from packaging to delivery. To date, they've packaged more than 455,000,000 meals that have gone 57 countries on 6 continents. Learn more about their global reach and how they're impacting the world.
Sign up for our packing event on April 13 in the Family Life Center. This event is open to the whole family and to the community, so invite your friends to join you! Tell them what this cause means to you.