We want every student to find a place to SERVE in our church and in our community. We have numerous opportunities for you to use your gifts here at BUMC through our ministry teams and teaching opportunities for high school students. We also provide weekly service opportunities within our community. We also offer mission trips and youth choir tours each summer.
Service & Leadership Opportunities within BUMC
Ministry teams are places where you can use your gifts and skills to serve within our student ministry. You can join most ministry teams at any time. For more information on our Serve opportunities, contact the youth office at 615.324.7251 or .
- Media Team - Serves Sunday nights, Sunday mornings, and as needed. Creates videos to illustrate lessons on Sunday mornings, to promote upcoming events, to highlight past events, and for other times where we need videos. This team is also responsible for running the lights and computers (videos, slides for worship) during Sunday mornings, Sunday nights, and any other time we’re all together. Leader: Cayce Long .
- Praise Bands - Serves at different times throughout the week as needed. Leads worship music in our Sunday morning programs, Sunday night 7th-8th small group opening gathering, and on retreats and for other events as needed.
- Drama/Skit Team – Meets throughout the school year as needed. Helps with brainstorming, script writing, and acting in dramas and skits as needed on Sunday nights. Leader: Derek Walker
- Sound Team - Serves at different times throughout the week as needed. Runs our audio equipment (sound) during Sunday mornings, Sunday nights, at praise band rehearsals, and any other time we’re all together, and helps us care for our audio/visual equipment.
- BUMCSM Cafe - Meets on Sunday Mornings Before Sunday School to Deliver Coffee and other times as needed. Delivers coffee to adult Sunday School classes on Sunday mornings and works in the café for student ministry special events as well as church-wide events. Contact Rosanne Schenck at .
- Design Team – Meets throughout the school year as needed. Helps with set design, decorations, and game supplies for Sunday nights as well as other creative design elements and decorations as needed. Leader: Lee French
- Church Now - Teaching in preschool, Elementary, BUMC56, OR Middle School Sunday School – 9:45-10:45 a.m. or 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. Sunday Mornings. Works alongside adult volunteers teaching children: leading games, activities, discussions, etc. You will also have the opportunity of helping with other same grade level activities and trips throughout the year. (10th-12th grade only, must be in 11th-12th to help with Middle School). Application required. Leader: Adam Jones . https://www.bumc.net/brentwood/connect/event-registration/
- Sunday Night Planning Team - Meets once a Month during the School Year (day to be determined by the team participants). Works with the youth staff to plan Sunday night programming, comes up with creative teaching ideas, song and topic suggestions, video ideas, and other items related to Sunday evening worship and small groups. Leader: Adam Jones .
- Retreat Planning - Meets prior to the retreat at various times as needed. Takes leadership in planning various aspects of our Merge Fall Retreat, High School Fall Retreat, and Breakthru Winter Retreat. For Merge, contact Derek Walker ; High School Adam Jones
- Rock The Chains Planning Team – Meets every other week during the Spring semester. Rock the Chains is a student led battle of the bands competition in late spring to raise money and awareness in the fight against modern day slavery. Student Teams include: Bands & Judges, Publicity, Education & Design, and Sponsorships & Prizes. Leader: Tatiana Liston
- Senior Shadow – Serves 1-2 times weekly after school and as needed. For seniors who are interested in ministry as a vocation. An opportunity to see what happens behind the scenes in youth ministry and help make everything happen! Application required. If interested, contact Adam Jones .
Church Now is an opportunity for our 10th-12th grade students to use their gifts NOW in the larger Church. Most of these opportunities require training prior to service. For more information, contact Adam Jones at .
- Preschool Sunday School Teacher - Serves on Sundays at 9:30 am on the first floor, “C” building. Help with Preschool Sunday School: working with 3, 4 and 5 year old children; playing games, reading stories, and helping with crafts. You will also have the opportunity of helping with other Preschool events throughout the year. You will be assigned to a classroom with a team of adult volunteers for just one class; either 3 year olds, 4 year olds or Kindergarten.
- Elementary Sunday School Teacher - Serves on Sundays at 9:30am on the third floor, “C” building. Help with Elementary Sunday School: mentoring 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th graders, leading discussions, and facilitating games, activities, and/or crafts. You will also have the opportunity of helping with other Elementary events throughout the year. 1st – 4th grade students can range in age from 6 – 10. You will be assigned to a classroom with a team of adult volunteers for just one grade.
- BUMC56 Team – Serves on Sundays at 9:30 am in the Gym. Helps with Highway 56 the Sunday School program: mentoring 5th-6th graders, leading small group discussions, and facilitating games and activities. A commitment level of serving two Sundays a month is required. You will also have the opportunity of helping with other Highway 56 events and trips throughout the year as well. (High School only)
- Middle School Team – Serves on Sundays at 9:30 am in the Jr. High Room, A182. Helps with Middle School Sunday School: mentoring 7th-8th graders, leading small group discussions, and facilitating games and activities. You will also have the opportunity of helping with other Middle School events and trips throughout the year as well. (For 11th - 12th grade only)
- Children’s Ministry Greeters – Serves on Sundays from 9:30-10:30 am at the Welcome Desk outside of the Chapel. This involves greeting visitors, helping them register, assigning their children to a class, and them escorting them to the room.
- Harvest Hands - Participate in an after-school program, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. with elementary-aged children at Harvest Hands Community Development Corporation, an outreach arm of Brentwood UMC in South Nashville. (9th-12th grade only, 7th-8th can serve with a parent). Transportation not currently provided. Harvest Hands has their own training and leader orientation. Contact Tatiana Liston at for more information. (Harvest Hands CDC is a nonprofit Christian Community Development ministry in South Nashville, Check out their website for More information on Harvest Hands)
- Legacy Ministry - Join us at Overton High School from 2:30-430pm to serve with one on one peer mentor-ship. This opportunity is very flexible on time, feel free to come as soon as you can and leave as needed. Contact Tatiana Liston at for more information .